The BT Smart Hub 3 was expected to launch in February 2022 and now it looks like it will launch in July 2022.
Differences between Smart Hub 2 and Smart Hub 3
- While the existing BT Smart Hub 2 is WiFi 5 (802.11ac) router, the new router supports the latest Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) standard which can optimise wifi speeds in areas of congestions or when connecting more devices.
- While both Smart Hub 2 and Smart Hub3 support WiFi mesh networking, allowing WiFi extenders or discs to extend coverage and speed throughout the home, the Smart Hub 3 features an enhanced mesh networking system compatible with full fibre broadband.
How to get BT Smart Hub routers?
- If you want to get Smart Hub 2, you can choose to upgrade or get BT Complete WiFi, an add-on service that includes Smart Hub 2 and WiFi discs for an extra £10 per month.
- According to BT, the Smart Hub 3 will be supplied as a standard router with a full fibre package, while upgrades will be made available to other customers upon release.
Features of BT Smart Hub 3
- Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) is the latest WiFi technology that significantly boosts the signal and handles 2Gbps+ speeds.
- The current mesh system in the Smart Hub 3 can handle speeds of up to 500Mbps.
- The kit is expected to include a new app for managing WiFi mesh networks.
- Like the Smart Hub 2, the new Smart Hub 3 also features 4G backup, which provides internet connectivity by connecting to a 4G mobile network in the event of a broadband outage.
- BT full fibre bundles, including Smart Hub 3 and Complete WiFi, are also expected to deliver guaranteed WiFi speeds in every room of the house.